Here I am making another attempt at the Alabama Stitch project skirt. I have made one in plain oatmeal coloured jersey…but the waistline was a little big, I know that is a good thing !!! but to unpick all that hand stitching and re-do each seam, six in total seemed (pardon the pun!) daunting.
I had another skirt cut and ready to sew, this time I thought I would do the leaves stencil from the aforementioned book. No problem, I used my sewing machine to baste each seam plus the waistline to prevent bagging or stretching while working on the appliqué stencil work. Each panel was laid out to start the stencil, I then realized I had stitched each panel (gore) to the backing fabric. So I decided to draw around the leaf stencil with a Sharpie pen.
At some point along the way I made a decision to appliqué all the leaves. I started out with the creamy coloured fabric on the grey, but I wasn’t sure I really liked it. So I had some cream fabric that I had done some practice stencils on and so I cut out the shapes from this and placed them on the drawn leaves to see if that made it better or worse. I liked it and so began the process you see now.
My creamy fabric has been painted on with a mix of green and cream fabric paint and I used real ferns from the garden to get some leafy designs. I just painted onto the backside of the fern with a sponge and then lay it onto the cream fabric and pressed down gently. Pull off the fern and you have a very delicate imprint of the ferns leaves. Remember to heat set your painted fabric BEFORE cutting out you pieces. I cut my appliqué leaves out of this fabric, some have more defined leaf designs than others, I just went with what I liked the look of at the time!
As usual I cannot follow the basic design….my mind goes off at a tangent…I believe that is called being creative !!!
If you like let me know what you are working on that gives you pleasure, happy summer sewing to you 🙂
At last I am wearing my creation. Although with all the work and effort I am a little dissatisfied with the end result. I really do believe that I enjoy the process far better than the results. Funny ‘eh!
I know that there are things I would change, for example one sleeve is slightly longer than the other and the same goes for the front bands which I knitted in moss stitch. I think if I knitted the front bands with a slightly smaller needle then I would not get the “drag or pull” on the front. The reason the sleeve is longer is that I knitted one sleeve separately because I wanted to be sure I had enough of the different yarn choices included in it. I should have transferred the knitted sleeve stitches again as I added it to the last side. Instead I just joined it on with a three needle cast off. Experiments….that’s what this is all about.
The cardigan is lovely and warm and I love the colours. I used two yarns that I would not use again or better still I should have used doubled, they were to thin on their own. I love the moss stitch collar front bands BUT not the way it drags downwards. On my next one I will change this part of the design and only use the moss stitch for part of the collar and front.
I look forward to the next one or even two !
The many yarns that I used in this project : Cascade 220 Heathers and Plain. Chunky Mochi by Crystal Palace Yarns. Ella Rae Classic. Patons Classic Wool. Ultra Alpaca from Berroco. Tekapo Pure New Zealand Wool by Ashford.
Have you knitted anything similar? do you have any helpful suggestions?
My latests de-stashing project is a knitted cardigan using various odd balls of yarn. I used to buy yarn one ball at a time, I would see something great and think OH! goody what can I make with one ball from this gorgeous colour. Also it was affordable BUT not very economical or smart. Nevertheless I have a few balls to use! so begins my side to side knitted cardigan. I have admired other knitted side to side projects that I have found on Ravelry and thought surely I can do this too ! I have knitted from the top down, making a sweater with Barbara Walker’s helpful guidance. So I felt sure I could use a little help from Debbie Bliss to make my side to side cardigan. This is it so far…
Are you inspired by your surroundings ? what have you made ? would you like to share ?
As promised a little felting project, a lovely warm scarf or wall hanging. I love it when a project can be something other than your original thought. Hence the wall hanging idea for this …scarf ! Imagine if you will, a small piece of driftwood attached to one of the short ends of the scarf. Perfect to hang in one of those small spaces in your home a stairwell or hallway for example.
Anyway moving on with the felted scarf, I used a few different types of wool. Merino wool from Knitopia Wools for the base which was in dark and light shades of turquoise blues. The next layer was made up of Louet Karaoke Angelfish which is 50% wool and 50% soysilk in pale blue and lime green colours. (This can be viewed here: http://www.suzooswoolworks.com) and for the final layer I added some teal and chartreuse mohair locks from Aurelia Wool and Weaving.
All in all it took me about four hours to complete the project from start to finish. My arms ached from all the rolling back and forth but I love the end result. I already have another two projects on the go…felting with different types of wool and silk hankies. More to come for sure.
I am hopeful to-day. I have had one door close and I await the opening of another. A craft venue that I was looking forward to participating in has been cancelled and now I must step out once again and try my luck elsewhere. Maybe this does not sound very hard but I am new to the crafting business and I do find putting my work and self out there a bit of a challenge. Onward and upward! that’s the theme for to-day.
I have had fun the last few days putting together a new cuff/ bracelet and I have also been working on some new pin /brooch designs.